Halloween can be a lot of fun, but for pet owners the fun can also turn into a nightmare. Following these tips is the best way to ensure that your furry friend is as safe as possible on the night.
1. Keep treats away from your pets. Chocolate is infamous for it’s toxicity for pets and sweets often contain a sugar substitute called xylitol which is no better. If you think your pet has eaten something they shouldn’t have please call Pet Doctors on 5576 0400 immediately. We will advise you on the best course of action to take.
2. Glow sticks/glow jewellery. Though these are not toxic, the liquid inside these products can give your pet a stomach upset and make them act strangely.
3. Your costume. If your pet is insecure in any way, seeing you put on a mask or strange costume may cause anxiety and fear. In this case, keep your pet calm in a quiet room during Halloween visits or parties.
4. Your Pet’s Costume. If you just love a good pet costume, then make sure that you have road tested it on your pet. Check the fit and ensure that it does not interfere with sight, hearing, breathing, moving or opening of the mouth. Do not ever leave your pet unattended while wearing clothing as pets have been known to overheat even in the middle of winter because of this.
5. Candles and jack-o-lanterns. While pumpkin is actually very good for dogs, we recommend you keep anything with a flame well off the floor.
6. Microchip and collar. If having guests around, or opening the door to trick-or-treaters, an up-to-date microchip and tagged collar are worth their weight in gold should your furry friend accidentally get free.
7. Keep pets inside. Halloween night tends to be noisy due to trick-or-treaters and possible backyard fireworks. Keep your furry friend safely inside to reduce any anxieties they might have.
We hope everyone has a safe and fun-filled Halloween and we’d love to see photos if your furry friend is dressing up for the occasion on our FACEBOOK page!