Spring has sprung and as the flowers start to bloom we will start to see more bees about. What should you do if your pet accidentally obtains a bee sting or a wasp sting?
In most cases, there will be mild swelling and tenderness at the sting site. You should try remove the tiny stinger as quickly as possible to stop the venom spreading (although they can be hard to see). Apply a cold compress (damp towel) to reduce swelling.
When should Pet Doctors see your pet?
If your pet is licking the area constantly, is in pain (limping is common if stung on the paw), or seems a bit lethargic, phone Pet Doctors on 5576 0400 for an appointment. We will give your pet an antihistamine and/or pain relief injection.
When does my pet need urgent emergency care?
Seek veterinary advice immediately if your pet:
- is having trouble breathing
- is vomiting within 5-10 minutes post sting
- has pale coloured gums
It is rare but some dogs and cats are severely allergic to a bee sting. These pets may go into anaphylactic shock (and even die) if they don’t receive immediate veterinary attention. Vaccines and emergency adrenaline pens are available for severely allergic pets.
To help prevent bee stings, try to keep your pet away from flowering trees and plants (especially ground cover). Discourage your pet from playing with or chasing bees. Oh, and be aware that rotting fallen fruit, meat and uneaten pet food are attractive to European wasps.
If you are worried about your pet you can always phone Pet Doctors Palm Beach for advice.